Welcome to week 25 of the Surface Treatment Workshop. This week we are using a bleach pen to create interesting patterns and textures in art. Here’s what I ended up with….
This is a Fiber Paste surface covered with watercolour paint, then bleach dropped onto the top with the bleach pen. Colours used were Indigo and Phthalo Blue. The colours and textures are wonderful….
Next something a little different (at least different for me!)….
A while ago my sister Carolyn sent me a bundle of art stuff in the post. In the parcel she included a pile of the strips used in salons to remove wax, with a note offering me a challenge to use them in some art. Challenge accepted!
Here they are used above as part of this weeks workshop. I covered them with a wash of watercolour paint and then dropped the bleach onto the wet paint in small drops. These strips are somewhere between a paper and a fabric and they are very porous, so you need something underneath to absorb any paint that goes straight through. Some interesting textures have been created. On the left, the colours used were Burnt Sienna and Phthalo Blue and on the right I used Prussian Blue. For the samples on the right I have shown both sides, as they are both different but interesting. Here’s a closer view of the left sample:
These salon wax strips, once painted and dried, would be good to use for collage work – they would add some extra interest and colour….
This weeks workshop was fun and very quick and easy to do. The next STW is about using petroleum jelly – I think it might just get a little bit messy – but we’re going to have some fun with it anyway…. !
Large images of my art can be viewed in my Art Gallery
At the weekend I decided to have a little play with some light blue denim and some bleach. I just love the wonderful shades of indigo blue that denim comes in – they’re all very different.
Also a new crop of rusty stuff is “developing” in my garden! The piece of rust above is one of four new pieces recently rusted. I also have a lovely collection of washers and nuts happily gaining a nice thick rusty coat in my garden at the moment….
They’re not properly “cooked” yet – these washers will be in my garden for at least another week yet. I’m so looking forward to putting some of these into my erosion bundles and other art work when they’re done!
These four pieces of rusty tin above I rusted myself. These are some of the rusty pieces I put into my Erosion Bundles.
These pieces of tin I cut out from the sides of a corned beef tin. They have flat sides and are easier to cut! As I cut the tin there was need for caution as the cut edges are razor sharp… ! Then I simply got a disposable aluminium foil tray (or an old plastic ice cream tub) and placed in it a solution of vinegar and bleach. The solution is mixed to a ratio of 2 parts bleach to one part vinegar. I needed enough to make sure the pieces of tin (or other items to be rusted) are completely covered. Then I put the pieces on tin into the solution and left them for about 4 -5 hours.
I wore disposable gloves and I put the tray out into the garden (I picked a dry day) as the solution of vinegar and bleach gives off very strong fumes – I really didn’t want it in the house! I have been known to leave these outside all night. If the items haven’t rusted enough when I check them I simply tip the solution away and cover them with a fresh solution and repeat the process.
Some things rust really well (like corned beef tins) others don’t – so it’s about experimenting. I’m really pleased how my rusty bits of tin above turned out and they have become even more rusty after being in my erosion bundles!
Vintage dyed fabrics… lace, silk, organza, jute, cotton, denim, scrim, string…
dyed with tea, coffee, acrylic paint, rust, turmeric…
Above is some distressed silk – distressed and dyed with bleach and vinegar and rust… (it was originally cream coloured!)
All these fabric pieces look wonderfully vintage after being dyed and all of them will get used in mixed media art projects in time. It’s so useful to have a supply of vintage dyed fabrics ready for use…