This is my very first attempt at painting a rose. And you will notice that I have used a large dollop of artistic license with the colour. It measures 7″ x 10″, which also makes it the largest watercolour painting I’ve done to date – I’m getting adventurous…. haha!
I’ve wanted to paint some roses for a while now but haven’t felt confident enough to do it. But last week a friend bought me a bunch of roses, and it seemed like the perfect opportunity to have a go. I started off by doing a pencil sketch first. I’ve tried drawing roses before and made a complete pigs ear of it but this time I actually made quite a good job of of the drawing. I guess practice pays off….
I told myself “if I can draw it, I can paint it… “. I didn’t paint my drawing, I’ve left it in my sketchbook. I got my watercolour paper out and based on my sketch, I drew faint pencil outlines of the rose on my watercolour paper to use as a guide. Then it was just a case of letting the painting begin….
I know in reality blue roses don’t exist but I think it’s high time someone produced a hybrid…. ! The colours for my rose were Cerulean Blue, Phthalo Blue and Chinese White and the stem and leaves were Prussian Blue, Raw Sienna and a touch of Sap Green.
My rose watercolour isn’t perfect by any means but I’m quite pleased with how it turned out. I’m going to paint more roses but probably in slightly more traditional colours….
A collection of vintage blue and rusty coloured treasures from around my work room. Vintage dyed fabrics, a piece of dyed string, a vintage blue pressed hydrangea flower, a rusty coloured dried pressed rose, a rusty ring pull from a can – all on a vintage blue textured background. I painted the background paper with acrylic paints.
All these lovely things I collect inspire me and I will eventually use them in art work when the right project comes along. And I will then replace them with other lovely things… !
I’ve called this “A Winter Rose” – it’s mixed media on paper, 10 cm x 7.5 cm. I actually used real rose petals in this that I had dried quite a long time ago and saved. I stuck them on with acrylic gel and when dry I went over them with and acrylic glaze tinted with garnet coloured pearl mica. They are now perfectly preserved on my art work!
How my winter rose looks in my collaged sketchbook:
The following two pieces of art I have collectively called “Harbour Lights” as the sequins remind me of the lights round Mousehole harbour (Cornwall, UK):
The red and gold work well together on the vintage collage paper background. Both are mixed media on paper and they measure 10 cm x 15 cm and 11 cm x 15 cm respectively. They have both been stuck in my collaged sketchbook.
The rose above is from a bunch of roses I dried myself, so that I can keep them as photographic props! When they’re dried they have a lovely vintage look and will keep forever. Drying the roses is very easy to do:
1. Buy a bunch of roses or cut them from the garden – I use ones that are only just opened…
2. Don’t bother putting them in water – cut the stems to your preferred length and remove all the leaves.
3. Cut a fairly long piece of string – bunch the roses together carefully so as not to squash them and tie the stems together with the string. The string needs to be quite long so you can then use it to hang the roses upside down somewhere. Then just leave them for about 2-3 weeks until dried.
4. Once they are dried they are quite papery to touch so they need handling with care but they will keep forever and you can do whatever you wish with them – they’re great for photographs and also look lovely on display in a vase…
Today I uploaded a rose image to Flickr which you can view here
Then I decided it might look good with a square crop. So I cropped it and then did three different versions of the same original rose photo. All of them have textures from Texture Time FREE TEXTURES for creative effect. It was a creative impulse really…