As you can see, this is not a watercolour masterpiece! But what it is, is an exercise in creating 3 dimensional shapes in watercolour by Hazel Soan on YouTube.
As instructed, I started with very simple pencil outlines of the 3 items and then tried to follow Hazel’s on screen instructions on getting the shading in the right places to give the impression of three dimensional objects. I know this is something I need to improve upon… alot! So for me this was a good place to start and I found the exercise very useful.
I used just one colour for simplicity – Prussian Blue (in the video Hazel used Indigo) and I painted this straight into my Khadi paper sketchbook. I’m reasonably happy with how this turned out – it’s not a bad start. And I’m reasonably happy with the shapes of my objects. Drawing things in perspective was the only useful thing I remember learning in art class at school.
I hope you all enjoy the rest of the bank holiday weekend – I’m off now to fill my head with more watercolour fluff… !!
Welcome to week 17 of the Surface Treatment Workshop. This weeks workshop was focusing on using sponges and art foam. I used just sponges. They were just ordinary flat square washing up sponges you buy from the supermarket. I cut them into wavy shapes and stamped them onto painted backgrounds…
I created several layers of colour with my sponge shapes. It’s a very basic technique but it can create some lovely textures and patterns….
The focus on this weeks edition of the Surface Treatment Workshop is Aluminium Foil.
It sounds very simple but in practice I found aluminium foil is not very easy stuff to work with. The good points are that it’s very easy to create texture and patterns with foil but the downside is that it’s not so easy to paint over. The paint doesn’t stick to the foil very well. Using a layer of clear gesso first helped but it still takes several layers of paint to cover the foil and when it dries the paint scratches off very easily. So I’ve got misgivings about it’s archival quality.
I have only one sample for this weeks workshop – pictured above. The foil I used were the foil wrappers from some stock cubes! Four wrappers were needed. And I simply coloured in the existing shapes and patterns in the foil. I used acrylic paint, oil pastels and stuck on some small rusty bits of paper left over from an erosion bundle.
I like my sample above, I like the textures shapes and colours. I’m not quite sure this sample is completely finished yet – I may work into it some more – but I like it so far!
The conclusion of this weeks workshop is that I don’t think I will be using aluminium foil in mixed media art to any great degree but it may possibly have small uses here and there… ! Next week the focus is on Masking Tape – looking forward to this!