I’ve been continuing with my spring flower studies. Two more to share today:
First is some blossom, seen on my daily walk. I used Quinacridone Rose (DS) for the flowers. I purposely kept it very simple, tried not to add too much detail.
Next spring flower study was some Muscari:
My muscari flowers study was based on a tutorial by Jean Haines. It’s much looser than my previous study. I love the bold blues with a hint of violet and turquoise. Exact colours I chose to use were: Indanthrene Blue (W & N), Phthalo Turquoise (W & N), Manganese Blue Hue (DS),Phthalo Blue GS (DS), Winsor Violet (W & N) and Cascade Green (DS). Below you can see all these colours (from left to right) in a “dancing ladies” exercise that Jean recommends doing:
Both flower studies were fun to do. But they are also a part of a learning curve for me; learning about pigments, how they interact with each other; and learning how to capture a the essence of a subject with minimal detail.
There may be a few more flower studies to follow… 🙂
Painting daffodils was on the agenda this morning, making the most of them while they’re still blooming…
I practiced painting this single daffodil first before painting the bunch above…
My daffodil colours are Winsor Lemon, Indian Yellow and Permanent Sap Green, all by Winsor & Newton. Paper used is Arches rough 140lb. It wasn’t till I started painting daffodils that I noticed what a lovely sweet smell they have and I enjoyed painting them…
Above are two tulips, painted loosely in watercolour, inspired by Jean Haines Atmospheric Flowers in Watercolour book. Paper used was Fabriano Artistico Extra White Rough paper, 100% cotton & 140 lb. No preliminary pencil sketch was made on the watercolour paper.
On the left is a scrap of watercolour paper I used to test out some colours on before painting my tulips. The yellow is Winsor Lemon – a good choice for the slightly delicate yellow of my tulips. The greens are Green Gold (DS), Olive Green (W & N), Prussian Green (DS) and Prussian Green mixed with Green Gold. The grey shades at the bottom were mixed from Indigo and Buff Titanium.
This was my first ever attempt at painting tulips. Painting the glass jar the tulips are in was tricky – I need to work on that…
I enjoyed painting these tulips – they’re bright and cheerful and much fun to paint…
I don’t have any daffodils in my garden so I had to buy some from my local supermarket. They were all tightly in bud when I bought them but very soon started to open. I decided to paint some watercolour studies of them in bud first and then I will do some more of them open. I did some quick pencil sketches first in my sketchbook before committing brush to watercolour paper.
Inspiration came from Jean Haines Atmospheric Flowers book. Of course, no pencil sketch was made on the watercolour paper before painting. This is my first ever attempt at painting daffodils and I’m quite pleased with them. But of course there’s always plenty of room for improvement…
Paper used is Fabriano Artistico extra white rough, 140 lb cotton and watercolour paints are by Daniel Smith.
The photo above I took on Friday (16th March). My mum and I had a lovely stroll along the seafront. The sun was shining, we had temperatures of 13 Celsius and beautiful blue skies. It was the most lovely spring day. Hardly anybody on the beach, it was so quiet and serene. The sand was completely untouched – not a foot print anywhere, it was a beautiful view. Finally spring is coming…..
Then this happened….
Today we woke up to temperatures of -2 Celsius and a blanket of snow! The temperatures plummeted yesterday morning and snow showers started but didn’t last long. Today however it has been snowing since 7 am this morning and very hard for the last two hours and not showing any signs of stopping…. ! I took the above photo in my garden about an hour ago. I purposely made sure the fence was in the photo for contrast so you could see the snow coming down. As I type this, it is a proper blizzard outside.
I haven’t ventured further than the back garden so far today but I will be visiting my lovely mum later. Then I may be able to get some photos of the snow across the fields. So it would seem “the beast from the east” (as our last snow storm was called 2 weeks ago) has made a comeback and spring is on back on hold. Crazy British weather…. !!
Now is a good time to stay warm inside and do some painting!
It’s collage time! Welcome to weeks 10 and 11 of the collage project I’m doing with my sister, Carolyn, following the prompts in The Collage Workbook by Randel Plowman.
The week 10 prompt is Decollage. We had to glue down lots of layers of paper and then when the glue is nearly dry rip the top layers of papers away to reveal what’s underneath. Here’s what I did:
I used soft pastel coloured papers and also added some dried pressed flowers – a little hint of spring….
The week 11 prompt is numbers – create a collage with numbers as the focus. Here’s my offering:
A vintage blue collage with a spring twist with the added dried pressed flowers. And of course the numbers were included and I used vintage ephemera for that. Some erosion bundle papers went into this collage as well….
I had fun creating these collages. Next weeks theme is typography – something a little different for me. Looking forward to it…. !